May 24, 2018

Liver Clinic Appointment

I had my Transplant Clinic follow up on Monday.

It was a little different than usual.  I was alone, had had no routine scans or test done and I had never met this Doctor before.  No worries.  OK, I was a little worried.

The last time I showed up to an appointment by myself I was reminded that I should not be driving or be alone.  Talk about a buzz kill.  It's not very often I am anywhere alone.  So it was a little exciting.  But boring.

I saw a new doctor so we talked a lot and got her caught up on my whole story.  We talked about what test I needed.  I don't have to have another scope done until next year and she wants to do a CT instead of my usual yearly MRI.  I can do labs every 2 months now because my Creatinine has come down a bit and so has my MELD Score.  It is usually an 18 or 19 but is at a 15 now.  We will just have to wait and see what it looks like again in 2 months.

I have noticed that lately, my body has been struggling even more to process meat.  Eating meat makes me dizzy and drowsy.  Almost like being a little tipsy.  This is the Hepatic Encephalopathy.  So when I mentioned I had been having trouble, she suggested I just cut out meat then.  That's a hard pill to swallow for this meat lover.  I already eat less meat than I used to, so any less than that means no meat at all.  It's not an order, but a suggestion.  I will still cook it for the guys but looks like from now on, I will be keeping it to a few bites max.  I can do that!

We also talked about signing a waiver that would allow me to be transplanted with a liver that carried the Heb B Core Antibodies.  The hard truth is that there just aren't enough organ donors to keep up with the number of people needing new livers.  So by allowing these livers to be transplanted, more lives can be saved.  And when you are knocking on death's door,  having to take one more pill in the long run, seems to be worth it.

I was cleared for travel!  She suggested that I pick up some new compression stockings, make sure to stay hydrated and I check my labs as soon as I get back.  But other than that, I am stable and allowed to go!   I'm so ready to get out of here for a bit! Not much longer!!

And that was it!  My Blood pressure was good, I did gain about a pound and a half, but she didn't mention it, so we can just pretend that didn't happen.  Is it weird that the only thing she checked was my breathing?  Usually, they push around my abdomen and check my feet for swelling.

We celebrated with smoothies from Smoothie King afterward and it was the best part of the whole day!  And then it was back to business as usual.  Trying to stay on top of things around the house.  I need to get all these packing and trip lists and thoughts out of my head and onto some paper before I forget them.  But I also decided I should take the day off from one of my meds and now I'm paying for it.  I just want to curl up in my bed and sleep for a few days.  I will take some once I get back from my walk tonight and pray I wake up with the ability to keep my thoughts straight for more than 5 minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment